How does infrared light therapy increase bioavailable nitric oxide?
Nitric oxide, often called the “miracle molecule”, is the body’s most powerful natural vasodilator – increasing blood flow through the blood vessels and capillaries. Anodyne Therapy showcases the positive impact of infrared light therapy on nitric oxide and how it helps patients with various symptoms, especially pain.
What is Nitric Oxide?
Nitric oxide is not only a powerful natural vasodilator but also a messenger molecule that triggers essential biological processes in the body. It contributes to almost every major cellular response or physiological effect from complex behavioral changes in the brain, airway relaxation, beating of the heart, formation of new blood vessels and their dilation, regulation of intestinal movement to the function of blood cells, the immune system, and nerve function. Nitric oxide is a gas and only lasts for a few seconds yet its impact lasts for hours or more.
A limited capacity to produce nitric oxide is implicated in heart disease, diabetes, and nerve and erectile dysfunction.
As we age the nitric oxide production decreases by as much as 10% every decade. While the decreased formation of nitric oxide may be slowed by exercise and proper diets, by middle age, nitric oxide production decreases by about half and is associated with several symptoms that can’t be ignored such as:
- Impaired vision
- Kidney dysfunction
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Numbness and sensory loss
- Peripheral nerve dysfunction
- Chronic pain
Increasing nitric oxide availability with light therapy
Scientific research shows that:
- Infrared light therapy independently increases the availability of local nitric oxide and promotes local blood flow. Researchers have reported that nitric oxide is essential for angiogenesis – new blood vessel growth or collateral circulation. Light therapy is known to independently increase nitric oxide levels and thereby increase local microcirculation to oxygen-deficient cells.
- Infrared light therapy enhances nitric oxide release. Nitric oxide is an important messenger in numerous biological processes, such as angiogenesis, hypoxic vasodilation, and cardioprotection. Infrared light therapy can enhance the release of NO from hemoglobin and myoglobin leading to localized increases in microcirculation
- Infrared therapy enhances NO production for pain relief. NO decreases pain in a number of ways. It directly reduces pain by bringing about changes in various natural pain-relieving substances and pain receptors. It also indirectly relieves pain by reducing chronic inflammation. One example of chronic inflammatory pain is osteoarthritis (OA). Studies have shown and patients can experience substantial pain relief and improved functional performance without any undesirable side effects after a NO-based intervention such as infrared light therapy.
It has been observed that just 30 minutes of Anodyne infrared light therapy boosts local microcirculation to nerves and other tissues, and this increase in circulation lasts for several hours after the application ends. Increased microcirculation can improve the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to cells to improve recovery and reduce pain and numbness.
Multiple modalities for pain relief
Infrared light therapy can be paired with physical therapy, proper nutrition, massage, chiropractic, and electric stimulation in an effective holistic approach for pain relief.
The Anodyne Infrared Therapy Systems are medical devices used to increase circulation and reduce pain, stiffness, and muscle spasm. Treatments with Anodyne have been shown to increase local circulation by up to 3200% after just 30 minutes and circulation remains elevated often for several hours after the treatment is over.
Cleared by the FDA (1994), it remains the premier evidence-based light therapy product on the market today.
Used by Physical Therapists, Chiropractors, Physicians, Nurses, and patients for drug-free pain relief, the products are extremely convenient to use at homes and clinics.
The Anodyne Therapy key design features include:
- Near-infrared light to maximize depth of penetration and biological response
- The energy pulse width of 292 times per second
- Overlapping cones of light to maximize energy density and minimize light scatter
- Important Safety Information and Instructions with each product.
To know more about Anodyne Therapy and its products, call (800) 521-6664.
Distribution Links +